Sunday, October 27, 2013

The times, they are a-changing

Living in Morocco has taught me a lot about patience.  Patience when all the taxis are full and you are hoping to not miss an appointment.  Patience when someone older than you is speaking.  Patience when waiting for your teaching schedule.  Or, when cooking tagine, going grocery shopping, negotiating for prices.  Patience permeates all levels of a successful existence here.

Time, and the odd workings of time also go hand in hand with patience.  Sometimes you get the feeling that you have endless hours to lesson plan, meet people, or run errands, but suddenly time has slipped away and you need to hurry to catch up on work.  A discussion in a cafe or a lunch date with friends seems to go by in the blink of an eye.  I always feel more optimistic about my schedule and time management than is actually the case.

This past week has been rife with changes.  I started the week in Agadir, with another change to my schedule and another later start date.  By the end of the week, I was moving to Rabat to take over another ETA's classes in Mohammedia.  Patience and time have once again been at work.  Once I have settled in, I will write more about my new job and surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment