Thursday, October 3, 2013

Goodbye twenties!

So, hello again.

I have been a bit MIA this week but I wanted to recount my thirtieth birthday.  Saying goodbye to a decade of your life makes one pensive.  You have finished a seminal and formative 10 year period and you embark on a new journey filled with changing objectives, a greater sense of yourself, and a more focused idea of what you want, or, at least, what you don't want.

On the day of the twenty eighth, I registered for the French teaching certificate preparation course on Saturdays 1430-1830.  This will give me something to do on Saturdays! I then met up with Renda and one of her roomies and we went to an English discussion group.  I had a great time and met some very interesting people.  After a few hours, we left and went to a very controversial circus performance which discussed such wonderful topics as 9/11, unwed mothers, and poverty.  After about ten minutes, we left and went to the beach.

The beach.  Having not yet ventured to the marina, this was a treat!! All of the nice hotels, restaurants and shops seem to be focused on one street next to the beach.  The marina itself is over 3 km and is a very relaxing walk.  Getting to the beach, we hear music.  We arrive at a concert and meet up with more of Renda's friends.  The music was wonderful and we listened for awhile before going to eat dinner. After dinner, we returned to the concert.  As it got closer to midnight, some of my new friends sneaked off.  They tried to get the MC of the concert to wish me a happy birthday - even though it didn't quite happen, it was a super sweet gesture that I am not ready to forget.  Afterwards, they surprised me with a plaque with my name. A great evening was had by all.

The next morning, Renda, Joey and I went to a beach outside Agadir in Taghazout.  This mini surf town is adorable and so relaxed.  We had lunch at a wonderful little restaurant overlooking the main street.  Europeans, Americans, Moroccans, surfers, dreadheads, tourists and hippies all intermingled and enjoyed the views and the water.  We went to the beach and enjoyed the warm water.  Later, we went to Aourir, the next town over that is a banana haven.

My birthday was a success in every sense of the word: good views, good people and good food.  I have a very positive feeling about my thirtieth year on my Fulbright! 

No comments:

Post a Comment