Tuesday, September 17, 2013

I have been remiss in my blogging obligations. It has been a busy week...We have Arabic classes 9-12 with a long lunch and then 2-3 followed by presentations from 3-5.  In addition to our obligations, we usually go out, visit Rabat and generally get used to life in the medina here.  

I find myself confronted by how different my reaction is to things when compared to my life in Tunis.  I remember how angry I used to get at the injustice, the poverty, the treatment of the poor and the women.  I seem to take a step back now and see the bigger picture much more clearly.  This does not mean that I believe everything is fair here or that there is no hypocrisy.  Much to the contrary. What I mean to say is that I have made peace with both myself and how I relate to North Africa.  I feel a strange sense of calm about my 9 month adventure here and am really starting to get excited. 

This past weekend I spent the day in El Jadida, a smaller city with a beautiful beach and marina.  I was struck by how much rougher it is compared to Rabat.  Life here is easy going.  There is diversity, ambition, and luck all mixed in with poverty and vast wealth.  El Jadida was different.  The route from the train station to the city center goes through semi-rural areas, huge half finished apartment blocks, before reaching the relative safely of the medina and downtown.  I was happy to see that people were out late and there was an atmosphere of that sleepy happiness that only comes with living next to the water.  On the way back from El Jadida, I took the "souk bus" aka the bus of the people, not the touristic bus.  The disorganization, unplanned stops, alternating between freezing and sweating were all part of the adventure.  I thought of Tunisia and riding in the louages across the country.  Although I have a huge bruise on my rear to remember that trip, I don't think the bus system as as bad as people say it is.

Last but not least, Renda, the previous Agadir ETA arrived a few days ago.  I have spent the last few days with her and am beginning to think about apartments, neighborhoods, planning classes, syllabus writing, and running my study.  It is like I have been going in slow motion and next week things will finally speed up.  Tomorrow we are spending the day in Casablanca, and so, with a heavy heart, I must leave you now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment